Hours of Supervision
The school provides supervision only between the hours of 7:25am and 2:05pm and during official school events and programs that occur before and after school. If you are interested in after-school child care, please see below.
BEST After-School Program
The Howard Elementary BEST after-school program will serve approximately 50 students. BEST provides an extended academic program, along with enrichment activities and a meal…all delivered in a safe and welcoming environment. There is a $10 fee, each semester. However, should this fee pose a financial hardship, families are invited to speak to the BEST Coordinator regarding a discounted/waived fee.
Students enjoy enrichment activities such as:
- Rock climbing
- Sports activities
BEST partners with Oregon Arts Umbrella, Oregon State University Extension, and many other community organizations who provide staff and services to help make this program a success!
Check out BEST on these pages:
BEST Coordinator: Shawn Peterson; (541) 790-4959; Cell # 541-517-7769 email@example.com
YMCA After School Enrichment Program
What the YMCA has to offer you and your student:
- After school care: grades K-5 (until 6 pm)
- Childcare for non-school and early release days
- State certified, fun and energetic staff
- Safe and secure environment
- Healthy snacks provided
Through a fee-based program, all Howard students have the opportunity to take part in after school child care. During their YMCA time, your child will have the opportunity to explore, interact, and play with fellow students, while engaging in projects based around monthly themes.
If you are interested in the program, please visit the YMCA After School Programs website or follow this link to a YMCA flyer and registration form or contact Holly Kriz-Anderson, the YMCA Youth Development Director, at (541) 686-9622 or by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org
Eugene Springfield Youth Orchestra
Howard has the largest Eugene Springfield Youth Orchestra (ESYO) Strings 1 and 2 classes of any school in the Eugene/Springfield area.
In String Academy class, your child will…
- Become proficient in one of four string instruments: violin, viola, cello, or bass
- Learn to read notes and play full songs.
- Get familiar with proper technique and posture.
- Perform in two concerts in front of a live audience!
- Make new friends and meet students from many different schools.
Why does this matter?
- Children with music instruction scored higher in spatial and arithmetic skills.
- Students who participate in orchestra have the lowest levels of use of alcohol, tobacco and drugs amongst any group in our society.
- Nine out of ten adults and youth who play instruments agree that music making brings the family closer together.
What if I don’t own an instrument?
No instrument? No problem! ESYO rents quality instruments from our own inventory for a very modest rental fee.
How do I sign up?
Click HERE (Best Strings at Howard) for Best String Academy Classes, or call 541-484-0473. Return your forms to ESYO, PO Box 5666, Eugene, OR, 97405.
If you would like more information, please contact the BEST Coordinator or visit the Eugene Springfield Youth Orchestra website.
Bricks 4 Kidz
Bricks 4 Kidz’ one hour classes explore architecture, engineering and technology concepts using LEGO® bricks. Students participate in 4-6 week sessions focused on exciting themes including Space, Inventions, Famous Buildings, and Natural Disasters.
Classes follow the Bricks 4 Kidz® motto: We Learn, We Build, We Play with… LEGO® bricks.
- We Learn– Teachers provide a 5-10 minute themed lesson
- We Build– Students build the model of the day with simple step by step instructions
- We Play– Students explore their own creativity through free play time
Visit the Bricks 4 Kidz website for details.
Young Rembrandts – Willamette Valley, Oregon
Young Rembrandts is an award winning art enrichment program that has given the power of drawing to thousands of young artists across the US and Canada. Young Rembrandts provides all classroom supplies and a trained instructor. Classes are held immediately after school. Enroll online at the Young Remlrants Willamette Valley webpage. Space is limited – Enroll soon! – Parent volunteers welcome!